Skip to main content

How Trump used Big Data to win the election. Inside information

There’s nothing like a car ride with federal agents to make you question your life choices. That was exactly where I found myself the morning of July 18, 2018, winding through the streets of Washington, DC, heading toward an interview with Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigators.
Targeted cambridge analytica whistblower broke democracy

My trip that morning consisted of riding in two cars, actually—the first took me to a coffee shop that the Department of Justice had randomly selected. This had been the driver’s instructions when I initially slid into the backseat: they had chosen a place unexpectedly, without planning it out or telling anyone beforehand. Then, once we were on our way, he was to radio in our destination. At the coffee shop, the second driver was waiting. Like the first driver, he was wearing a dark suit and dark glasses, but there was a second man with him as well. From the second car—outfitted like the first with tinted windows—I watched as the city’s gleaming monuments, bright and sudden and very white, flashed by us like camera bulbs.

Cambridge Analytica Trial

When I was settled in the backseat between my two attorneys, it was hard not to consider just how I’d ended up here, on my way to talk to federal prosecutors about my role with the now-infamous political communications firm, Cambridge Analytica. How a situation that I’d entered with the best of intentions for me and my family had ended up so horribly and irrevocably twisted. How in the process ofwanting to learn how to use data for good, and while helping my parents through a difficult financial moment, I’d ended up compromising my political and personal values. How a mixture of naïveté and ambition had landed me squarely and disturbingly on the wrong side of history.

A little more than three and a half years earlier, I’d joined Cambridge Analytica’s parent company, the SCL Group—specifically, their humanitarian division, SCL Social—working on projects under the company’s CEO, a man named Alexander Nix. In the years since that leap of faith, nothing had gone as I’d envisioned it. As a lifelong Democrat and devoted activist who had worked for years in support ofprogressive causes, I had started my work with Cambridge Analytica under the pretense that I would be separate from the company’s Republican client base and outreach. It didn’t take long, though, to find myself gradually pulled away from my principles by the difficulty of securing funding for humanitarian projects and the allure of success on the other side. At Cambridge Analytica there was the promise of real money for the first time in my career, and a way to buy into the vision that I was helping to build a revolutionary political communications company from the ground up.

In the process, I had been exposed to the vast sweep of Cambridge’s efforts, both to acquire data on as many U.S. citizens as possible and to leverage that data to influence Americans’ voting behavior. I’d also come to see how Facebook’s negligent privacy policies and the federal government’s total lack of oversight about personal data had enabled all of Cambridge’s efforts. But, most of all, I understood how Cambridge had taken advantage of all these forces to help elect Donald Trump.

As the car drove, my lawyers and I sat quietly, each of us preparing for what was to come. We all knew I would share any part of my story in full; the question now was what everyone else wanted to know. Mostly people seemed to want answers, both professional and personal, about how this could happen. There was a variety of reasons why I’d allowed my values to become so warped—from my family’s financial situation to the fallacy that Hillary would win regardless of my efforts or those of the company I worked for. But each ofthose was only part ofthe story. Perhaps the truest reason of all was the fact that somewhere along the way I’d lost my compass, and then myself. I’d entered this job believing I was a professional who knew how cynical and messy the business of politics was, only to learn time and again how naïve I’d been.

Cambride Analytica and the Trump campaign

And now, it was on me to make it right. The car drifted smoothly through the streets of the capital and I began to sense that we were closing in on our destination. I had been warned by the special counsel’s team not to be afraid or surprised if, upon arriving at the secure building where I was to be questioned, throngs of press awaited me. The location, it was said, was no longer secure. Reporters had caught on that the site was being used for the interviewing of witnesses.

A reporter, the driver said, was hiding behind a mailbox. He recognized her from CNN. He had seen her loitering around the building for eight hours at a time. In heels, he said. “What they wouldn't do!” He exclaimed.

As we neared the place and turned a corner into a garage in the back, the driver told me to turn my face away from the windows, even though they were tinted. In preparation for my conversation with the special counsel, I had been told to clear my day. Completely. I had been told that no one knew how long I would testify or for how long I would then be cross-examined. However long it would be, I was ready. After all, my presence there had been my own doing.

A year earlier, I’d made the decision to come forward, to shine a light in the dark places that I had come to know and to become a whistleblower. I did this because, as I’d come face-to-face with the realities of what Cambridge Analytica had done, I saw all too clearly just how misguided I’d been. I did this because it was the only way to try to make up for what I’d been a part of. But, for more than any other reason, I did this because telling my story to anyone who would listen was the only way we could learn, and hopefully prepare for, what comes next. That was my mission now—to raise the alarm about how Cambridge Analytica had operated and about the dangers that Big Data posed, so that next time voters on both sides would understand the full stakes of the data wars that our democracy is up against.

The driver took us deeper and deeper into the garage, circling, circling farther down. Why so deep? I wondered. But ofcourse, I already knew: Privacy is a hard thing to come by these days.

This book is must read. Shedding more light on the illegal and unethical behavior for the Trump and brexit campaigns, the mega donors funding right wing causes, and Facebook's gross negligence and disregard for it's users.
targeted cambridge analytica whistblower broke democracy

Every People in many part of the world have been and are being manipulated; using big data provided by organizations greedy and negligent organizations such as Facebook for the sole purpose of manipulating people into believing in far right ideals in order to entrench wealthy businesses and individuals.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Returns from Low Risk A Remarkable Stock Market Paradox

This ebook reveals a story about the stock market wich will change the way you think about investing. It is a story about a paradox I stumbled upon many years ago, one that still amazes me today. It is the story of an ‘inconvenient truth’ for economics professors as it turns their models upside down. A delusional story for professional investors who are managing other people’s money. It’s also a personal story which will make you smile and wonder. But most importantly, it’s a story that will help you become a better investor, as it describes how to turn scientific insights into profits. It is the modern stock market equivalent of ‘the tortoise and the hare’: a remarkable tale of how low-risk stocks beat high-risk stocks. My goal is to explain this stock market paradox to you as I would explain it to my father. He is a retired businessman with stock market investing experience. Although he is not an expert in finance, he is a wise man with an entrepreneurial mindset. He has taught

Day trading course

There was once a time when the only people who were able to trade actively in the stock market were those working for large financial institutions, brokerages, and trading houses. But, with the rise of the internet and online trading houses, brokers have made it easier for the average individual investor to get in on the game. Day trading can turn out to be a very lucrative career, as long as you do it properly. But it can also be a little challenging for novices—especially for those who aren't fully prepared with a well-planned strategy. Even the most seasoned day traders can hit rough patches and experience losses. So, what exactly is day trading and how does it work? Day trading is defined as the purchase and sale of a security within a single trading day. It can occur in any marketplace but is most common in the foreign exchange (forex) and stock markets. Day traders are typically well-educated and well-funded. They use high amounts of leverage and short-ter

Apple M1 MacBook Pro is out. Get rid of your MacBook Air now and forever with this promotion

MacBookPro 2020 is here Apple today revealed its long-awaited ARM-powered Macs, including a new MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and MacBook Pro. All of them use the new M1 chip, which promises massive gains in performance and decreased power consumption — or at least when running apps optimized for the new hardware. In fact, the company claims its new 13-inch MacBook Pro has “the longest battery life ever on a Mac,” and “up to twice the battery life of the previous generation.” Performance-wise, the gains are similar to those the company is touting with the MacBook Air. Here are Apple’s claims: Up to 2.8x CPU performance Up to 5x the graphics speed Up to 11x faster machine learning Up to 20 hours of battery life One needs to take that ‘up to’ bit seriously. As I wrote in my post about the MacBook Air, these performance numbers likely reflect gains when using apps that have been specifically developed to run on ARM-based chips. Apple was less clear about how the laptops will perfor